Your Mercedes requires use of synthetic oils rather than natural oils. While many makes can use conventional, natural, petroleum based oils, your Mercedes functions at a higher level and offers up better performance, and in turn needs a more efficient oil.
Can I use any synthetic oil in my Mercedes?
Mercedes actually offers a set list of oils that can be used in their vehicles. This list is appropriate for models made during and after 1998:
Used on Mercedes-Benz Sheet 229.1:
- Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 15w-50
- Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 0w-40
- Valvoline Synpower Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5w-40
- Castrol Syntec 5w-50
- Castrol Syntec 10W-40
- Quaker State Full Synthetic European Formula 5w-40
- Pennzoil Synthetic European 5w-40
- 76 Pure Synthetic Motor Oil 5w-40
Used on Mercedes-Benz Sheet 229.3:
- Castrol TXT Softec Plus 5w-30
- Shell Helix Ultra 5w-30
- Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40